Friday, August 22, 2008

Getting Closer -

When we began the international adoption process, we vowed to keep in touch with the orphanage where our child came from and to send them annual "care packages" to celebrate our daughter's anniversary date of joining our family. While we were in Shenyang, we met two of the ayis (aye-ees) who cared for ElleAnna. We also met the man who was the director of her orphanage. We asked our in province guide to write down the orphanage's address so that we could communicate with them regularly.

Needless to say, we soon realized that the address from our guide was not complete and would not be enough to send anything to her orphanage. We tried to search for a better address on the internet and through various resources, but were unable. Finally, in the last few days, however, I have found someone who will research the mailing address for us. We plan to send photos and a letter to the orphanage soon. In November, we will purchase a care package and have it delivered to the orphanage with items that will help those children who still reside there. Hopefully, we can also throw in a few gifts for the ayis and staff.

I had wondered what happened with the photos and reports that are sent to the CCAA periodically after we came home, but it seems clear that those are never forwarded to the orphanage where the child came from. Unfortunately, the staff where Elle came from has heard nothing since she left.... and that makes me sad. I like to believe that they cared enough about her that they want to know. I believe they deserve to know. ElleAnna was likely only the second child that they did an international adoption for, and I don't want them to be concerned that its not a successful effort to find families for their children.

I hope the address and its translation comes to us soon. I also pray for the right words to tell them how we are doing and how beautiful ElleAnna is. She is an amazing little girl who has added so much to our family. She is loved by everyone who knows her. I hope that the pictures and letter get to the orphanage safely. We also plan to include a SASE so that they can reply to us if they wish. I am afraid to wish for too much, but a growing part of me hopes that this is a positive adventure that can provide all of us with some smiles.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, I do hope they care.