Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Panjin SWI, Liaoning Province

As I have followed the Henderson's blog (see below), I have become even more determined to learn what I can about ElleAnna's orphanage. We have sent her SWI (Social Welfare Institute - AKA orphanage) one letter and they have replied - on friendly terms. Now that we have established that connection, I want to have them use a disposable camera and take photos of the places and faces that Elle would hopefully find familiar. Unfortunately, its been over a year, so even Elle's memory may not be as clear even if we showed her pictures. There are agencies who will assist with getting pix taken at orphanages, but so far, I have not had any luck arranging for that camera/photo shoot. Usually, its done when the child you are adopting is still at the SWI, but for many reasons, we were not able to do it then.

I have searched several different websites and databases to try and find other families who have adopted from Panjin, but there is no one. Even a general internet search of her "home town" gives very limited information. Its not a tourist location, its just an "ordinary" place. I did find someone on Facebook (an amazingly frightening resource) who used to live in Panjin. She has offered to help, but I am not sure how far to pursue that connection. Right now, I have posted on all the main "adopting from China" yahoo groups to see if anyone knows of any other children who may have come from Panjin. We'll see if I get any help from that.

When we were getting ready to travel, there was another family already in the Liaoning Province adopting a boy, probably age 7-8. It was my understanding that he was also from Panjin, but that may not be true... If it is not true, then I don't know of any other children from ElleAnna's SWI who have been adopted internationally.

I just wish that I could find some resources to help us!
.

No comments: